Froxlor Forum

Install on Google Cloud Compute LAMP - debian

adamjedgar

Question

Hi guys,

I have a google cloud compute debian instance

I have been experimenting with a couple of alternatives to cpanel. Just installed virtualmin and now am looking at froxlor.

I have followed the install outline as documented.

1. I setup a google cloud launcher LAMP

2. navigated in browser to <myserveripadress> to ensure apache is working (which it is)

3. downloaded froxlor to /var/www/ directory

4. chown froxlor to www-data:www-data (i also checked to ensure my webserver is running as www-data)

Now when i attempt to navigate to http://<mywerveripadress>/froxlor i get the following error in browser 

"NOTFOUND" the requested URLwas not found on this server.

now when i ssh into server, froxlor is definatelly in /var/www/ directory.

permissions are  0755 www-data:www-data

i am not sure what i have done wrong?

has anyone with experience in installing this on google cloud got any advice?

11 answers to this question

ah, i found the problem...i noticed that in another post on Digital Ocean's forum there was a mention that in ubuntu 14lts there is an additional level of folder for the web directory... /var/www/html.

The installation documentation i read on froxlor makes no mention of the new directory and as such i placed my froxlor directory and file inside /var/www/ .

When i searched the www directory i saw that it had an index.html file there and assumed this was the apached one, when apached actually has files inside the /var/www/html/ directory.

So for newbies...please ensure that when you are following the froxlor installation documentation, you download all froxlor files and folders to /var/www/html/ (not /var/www/ ).

then its just a matter of navigating in web browser to <yourwebserverexternalipaddress>/froxlor

(or if hostname has been set to domain name <yourdomain.com>/froxlor)

6 hours ago, adamjedgar said:

So for newbies...please ensure that when you are following the froxlor installation documentation, you download all froxlor files and folders to /var/www/html/ (not /var/www/ ).

then its just a matter of navigating in web browser to <yourwebserverexternalipaddress>/froxlor

(or if hostname has been set to domain name <yourdomain.com>/froxlor)

Froxlor presupposes strong user experience with your server system....

If you can't handle simple server configs without reading a how-to, it's better for you to use Plesk or something else like this...

...Same Shit Different Day...

And yet they go to all the trouble to write an install document...most people would expect said documentation to be up to date with the O/S its designed to run on. The additional directory added by debian happened quite a while ago...certainly plenty of time to update this.

In all honesty, a very quick and easy 2 minute change to the installation instructions could save many users lots of frustration.. and help retain client base instead of driving them away to better documented competing platforms.

Just get someone to update the document...i would do it myself if i had access to it. Its unfortunate that i found the answer to my problem on digital ocean's forum rather than here.

1 hour ago, iam said:

Froxlor presupposes strong user experience with your server system....

If you can't handle simple server configs without reading a how-to, it's better for you to use Plesk or something else like this...

...Same Shit Different Day...

Well, I can understand his point and I think it would not be too much if some sort of note would be added to the install documentation.
I might submit a PR later.

another quickie whilst on topic...usually with some other programs one may edit the user (such as change admin password) using phpmyadmin.

I attempted to do this today and it doesnt appear to make any difference...ie its not working. 

Any suggestions?

well, depends on what hash-algorithm you set and what value you have used when manually playing around in the database....you know there is a "forgot password" function? which needs to be enabled for admin-users of course....

Also: i don't think other programs intend that you edit the user data via phpmyadmin...total nonsense

13 hours ago, d00p said:

well, depends on what hash-algorithm you set and what value you have used when manually playing around in the database....you know there is a "forgot password" function? which needs to be enabled for admin-users of course....

Also: i don't think other programs intend that you edit the user data via phpmyadmin...total nonsense

Hi dOOp,

thank you for your reply.

actually phpmyadmin is often used for editing database users in content management systems in particular...Wordpress being just one example where its extensively used for just this job as a fail safe when nothing else works (ie when the recover password option is not an option)

Anyway, take the following:

I install froxlor and use it for about 2 hours having logged in and out a few times during this time without issue. I havent set up everything as i am just testing the program, hence no password recovery option is enabled. I log off, go to bed, get up the next morning to find that the only password i ever use for all my installations is no longer working (how that happens i dont know but it has).

I now need to edit the user password manually to regain acess to froxlor without having to reinstall. My assumption is that the method would be, as i have done with Wordpress, use phpmyadmin to change the password directly in the database.

Is that how you guys would do it?

which hash algorythm is used for froxlor? (wordpress uses MD5)

Manually installing LAMP on a google compute engine is a long process. You have to install each package individually. You can easily install LAMP on google compute if you use PaaS services, like Cloudways. In this platform, the server is configure with PHP automatically.

On 8/4/2017 at 6:30 PM, adamjedgar said:

Hi guys,

I have a google cloud compute debian instance

I have been experimenting with a couple of alternatives to cpanel. Just installed virtualmin and now am looking at froxlor.

I have followed the install outline as documented.

1. I setup a google cloud launcher LAMP

2. navigated in browser to <myserveripadress> to ensure apache is working (which it is)

3. downloaded froxlor to /var/www/ directory

4. chown froxlor to www-data:www-data (i also checked to ensure my webserver is running as www-data)

Now when i attempt to navigate to http://<mywerveripadress>/froxlor i get the following error in browser 

"NOTFOUND" the requested URLwas not found on this server.

now when i ssh into server, froxlor is definatelly in /var/www/ directory.

permissions are  0755 www-data:www-data

i am not sure what i have done wrong?

has anyone with experience in installing this on google cloud got any advice?

Hello I'm running a froxlor server on google cloud computers too. Do you have a problem with the mailling ports? thanks for your answer.

1 hour ago, davidoct14 said:

Hello I'm running a froxlor server on google cloud computers too. Do you have a problem with the mailling ports? thanks for your answer.

And you already openend another thread for this, 

So no need to hijack another thread

Archived