Froxlor Forum

Centralized Froxlor Setup with Multiple Server Nodes

Question

Hello,

I'm wondering if andybody has a working setup with dedicated froxlor control panel installation, centralized accounting and multiple server nodes.

I'm currently planing to develop a api for this, but is kinda hard though because froxlor isn't that modular and it probably also would require alot of core files and the db schema to be changed to fit the requirements.

any thoughts or suggestions?

thanks.

regards

ds.

11 answers to this question

Maybe a little late, but as I brought up my multistack patchset in live production today I?d like to present my little 2-Server-Setup:

Config-Files: I generate configs only on server 1 (my master) and sync the apache-configs to server 2 using csync2. I used to use sed to simply replace the IP of server 1 with the ip of server 2 in the config files. Problem: Roundrobin or different host only possible, when manualy editing the zone-file. Now with multistack I can add as many IPs as I want to each Domain and so select, where the DNS-Server will direct the traffic. So Domain-A has IP1, Domain-B listens on IP2, Domain-C has both IPs (Round Robin). Apache seems not to care, that some of the specified IPs are not available on the system.

User-Files: As I have my VServers in different locations and can?t install a cluster-filesystem I also just sync the files with csync2.

Database: I have set up MySQL to do replication, so both hosts always have the same data available.

Accounting: I use mod-logsql to store the access-logs in the database. The cron on server 1 then fetches the database-entries, creates AWStats and does the traffic accounting (everything already included in Froxlor!). FTP is only on server 1, so easy accounting there. And as the files are the same on every host, diskspace-accounting is also easily done. In a bigger environment you?d probably use centralized storage (NAS), which also should be no problem.

Mail-Server: I?ve set up mailservers on both using Dovecot with replicator. But you could easily put those external and just enter the names of mailservers in the bind-config. The Mailserver just has to have access to the froxlor-database.

This works very nicely, at least on my small system, without the need of big modifications in Froxlor (multistack is not requiered, but gives you some nice features like round-robin and ipv4/6 dualstack).

On 5/5/2012 at 3:42 AM, d00p said:

there were ideas for multiple-server-support - it's not that easy as it seems at first, sadly

Please I think we should leave Froxlor as simple as it currently is .
This is one of the reasons why am trying to leave ISPConfig despite all it's features.

Not everyone needs all those numerous features which in turn increases points of failure and customization.

I would suggest anyone who needs such huge feature to get a copy of FROXLOR and customize it to his heart desire  OR use other Panels with such features such as ISPConfig, Webmin, etc.

As for FROXLOR Team, Thanks for the Good work AND Please focus on core features useful for majority of the people.

Thanks

The approach I took was not to do that but to have my billing system do it for me. I manage all accounting and froxlor nodes from there. Once the user logs in I provide them with a list of their accounts and a button to auto log them in to whichever account they want to work with (not just froxlor but also direct wordpress integration and openvz although I think I'm going to change the openVZ stuff and integrate with proxmox and create an ebuild to run proxmox on gentoo). Its just a bunch of php scripts that write directly to the froxlor database and not complete yet but you could do something like that (taking the class I posted on the forum previously) and then just not run a vhost for froxlor on the nodes...

I've given this alot of thought also - I actually agree with edwinboesmia, some database changes to note down the server / service associated with a user and then have commands pushed out to each node from there - there could be a job engine sat on each node which will generate the required config files and reload the services. Initally I thought to best way to do the inter node communication was via MQ for persistance.

However, I was under the impression that the new version of Froxlor 1.x using the REST API was supposed to be designed in this decoupled manner from the start?

With the old SysCP, I have a kinda working setup with multiple servers running different services (e.g. a dedicated mail server and a dedicated webserver). To achieve this, I edited some of the scripts. As a result, I have 1 Control Panel, 1 database, but 2 servers with different roles.

In my humble opinion (seen from a PHP developers point of view), it can't be too hard to define a server pool and choose the different roles for each server. The scripts simply have to honour this configuration and create mailboxes at the mail server and web folders at the webserver.

I'd be interested to share my experiences with the team. I think that multi-server support is a must and would make Froxlor a serious application for larger installations.

Kind regards,

Edwin Boersma

the multi-server-support topic is as ols as even syscp is/was. back in my days as dev, we started this but then realized it's not as easy as we thought it was in the beginning, if you think you got a better idea and can realize this without rewriting everything, well, go ahead, Fork Froxlor on github and do it :)

Auch wenn in diesem Teil des Forum eher englisch bevorzugt wird erdreiste ich mich und schreibe auf Deutsch.

Auch ich h?tte Interesse an einer solchen L?sung und w?rde auch daran mitarbeiten.

Vielleicht k?nnte man mal zusammen ein Pflichtenheft erstellen und ein wenig BRainstormen , wie man das am

Besten umsetzt ?

Andreas

Hello

I have a import export script for SysCP/Froxlor, once a buggy export for VHCS.

The idea is to have a panel neutral json exchange format. (Not so easy task, so currently it's more fixed to Froxlor/SysCP then I like).

It uses PDO to connect directly to an Froxlor/Syscp Database, can be exported to a json file or simple dump.

The json file transfered to a new system, imported and then a full rewrite is done in Froxlor.

Important part for me was to have a system that works completly outside of a panel so I can use this even if something goes wrong.

PDO mysql is there on most hosts.

Problematical may be the changes to the Database, however is less likely to break then the internal API

Archived