Froxlor Forum

Request for Comments: Plugin-Api and Cluster-Features

Matthias Krauser

Question

Hi Guys,

we used SysCP for a few weeks and now switched to Froxlor.

I have some ideas for the future development and I would like you to discuss them with the Froxlor-Community first:

In my opinion it would be amazing, if froxlor will be a modular system. Think of CMS-Systems like Typo3 or Joomla, every developer can write plugins, to enhance the functionality of the core system. In Froxlor there can be plugins for different Webservers (Apache, Lighty, Nginx and others), Mailservers, FTP-Servers, Databases, Statistics (AWStats, Webalizer, Piwik) and other extensions (billing, APS...). Maybe there can be Plugins to support different types of WebApps (PHP, Ruby, Python).

This would allow non-core-developers to enhance Froxlor, without loosing update-capabilitys.

In the second step there can be a Extension-Repository with auto-update functionality (like Typo3, Magento or Firefox). You can install, upgrade, rate and comment plugins from inside your froxlor backend.

The possibility, to manage multiple servers from one backend would also be incredible. Maybe some of you know ProxMox Virtual Environment, a virtualisation management tool. It has amazing cluster features. It would be cool, to manage all customer in one backend. And it should be possible to move a customer from one node to another with a single click (same setups required).

Maybe this can also be implemented as a plugin with a REST-Api:-)

I absolutely know, that these are not easy tasks, but think of the possibilities.

And don't get me wrong, I'm more than willing to contribute to these features, but it's nearly an impossible task for one devloper.

Besides I think there should be a solid concept before coding even starts.

So, what do you think of my suggestions? Don't hesitate to tell me your opinion...

Matthias

9 answers to this question

Hello all,

I'm using SysCP on production servers. Since the programmers and the community seems to have moved from SysCP to froxlor, I'm considering doing the move too.

I currently use SysCP 1.4.2, patched to manage different servers for each role (DNS, web, mail and SysCP console) and to have these servers NATed behind the host bearing the public IPs. Sort of proxmox-like setup you know... ;)

I plan to reuse and adapt my patches against froxlor 0.9.6 in order to migrate these servers under froxlor.

But I would like the upcoming "multiserver" features of froxlor 1.0 to be unveiled a bit, in order to prepare myself to the next move... Are there things I should/could know whith respect to this?

Thanks by advance!

Regards

But I would like the upcoming "multiserver" features of froxlor 1.0 to be unveiled a bit, in order to prepare myself to the next move... Are there things I should/could know whith respect to this?

There will be a full documentation for all modules and functions etc. for Froxlor-1.0

But as for multiserver, there is no plan at all yet. But your welcome to unveil your solution so we get some good ideas

Thanks for your quick answer.

But your welcome to unveil your solution so we get some good ideas

Sure. Although that's something I already proposed for SysCP monthes ago but didn't arise any interest.

There's a few days of production work ahead of me before I can dig back in SysCP and give you my humble tweaks. But I will.

Kind regards

Both - module-based/possibility for own plugins and multi-server support - are planned for Froxlor-1.0 (and partly realized already).

That's great news, it was definitely the right decision to migrate to froxlor.

Is the existing code already checked in? If thats true, I will look into it and try to help...

FullAck for all Topics. ;)

But as I know most is planed for 1.0.

The kinda most I am looking for is the multi-server-solution.

I'm working with vAdmin for managing virtual servers and hosts and they have such a 'client' system. And it is really fun to add a host in minutes to manage it. ;)

To have multiple web-servers like that would drive me crazy. :D

Archived