Froxlor Forum

E-mail authentication parameters

Francesco

Question

Hello,

SMTP using the Froxlor tool via localhost:25 works fine! And also IMAP (in localhost).

But, when I try to connect a client (e.g. Thunderbird) it can't find the correct server. 

I'm using the same address as the Froxlor panel.

I tried also port 25 (SMTP) without security, I would like to use SSL/TLS or STARTTLS.

I added other ports in IP/Ports > like to 465, 993, 143, and 25, but not changing. 

7 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, Francesco said:

I added other ports in IP/Ports > like to 465, 993, 143, and 25, but not changing. 

This only leads to the WEBSERVER listening on these ports, which is totally wrong, don't do that.

The SMTP/IMAP/POP3 server is specified in the postfix/main.cf under "mydomain" (or "myhostname"). It should be the domain you have specified when installing froxlor.

In order to use SSL for the email services, you will need to adjust the configs accordingly, it is not enabled by default as it requires a certificate (in case you continue using the froxlor system-hostname and using let's encrypt for it, you can safely use these certificates)

Thanks for the information, I deleted all IP/Ports excluded defaults. 

In the "main.cf" I tried to change "myhostname" to the same FQDN of Froxlor, but doesn't work.

Now I configured on Cloduflare a subdomain "mail.*****" without an SSL certificate or proxy. 

image.thumb.png.10cfcced999a37f686126097f9ca31c6.png

image.png.a0f1d01da4f0e122a6d21e355c58c678.png

image.png.158c5b9433487adad24e234389596437.png

But an email client can't connect, only works via LOCALHOST, for example, Roundcoube that I installed yesterday works fine! But users can't connect to their email accounts.

If I check the MX record via MXTOOLBOX I see that MX fzoino.com > mail.eu-west-1a.fzoino.com  and ALL ports actually are opened in the firewall.

so what is your value of "mydomain" in postfix' main.cf? According to your current MX, it should be eu-west-1a.fzoino.com

Also: your mx resolves to the server's IP (I guess it's the server's IP, if not, either change MX or correct DNS) which in return does not resolv back to the correct domain (reverse-dns). Many mailservers dont like

nothing is blocked, works just fine:

~> telnet eu-west-1a.fzoino.com 25
Trying 45.13.59.186...
Connected to eu-west-1a.fzoino.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-eu-west-1a.fzoino.com ESMTP Postfix (Debian/GNU)

And either you are playing around with the configs or the postfix service because on the second try, I get this:

Trying 45.13.59.186...
telnet: connect to address 45.13.59.186: Connection refused
Trying 2a02:c206:2147:5010::1...
telnet: connect to address 2a02:c206:2147:5010::1: No route to host
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Ignore the ipv6 error, I have an IPv4 only uplink so i'm not able to connect to ipv6 from here