Froxlor Forum

Uninstall unused PHP-versions

techie204

Question

I wanted to clean up our system today since we only use one php-version (now 8.0). Unfortunately I cannot delete 7.4 since it would uninstall froxlor package also. From what I found I assume the dependency of froxlor to php-cgi is relevant!? But why isn't it using the php8.0-cgi package? Or do I miss something?

# apt remove php7.4*
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  froxlor libapache2-mod-php7.4 php7.4 php7.4-bcmath php7.4-cgi php7.4-cli
  php7.4-common php7.4-curl php7.4-gd php7.4-imap php7.4-json php7.4-mbstring
  php7.4-mysql php7.4-opcache php7.4-readline php7.4-xml php7.4-zip

I don't actually know if it has something to do with this, but had problems with meta-packages before and can't figure this one out now:

# apt depends froxlor --installed
|Depends: php-cgi (>= 1:7.1)

Anyway, how can I uninstall the old PHP version without uninstalling froxlor!?

8 minutes ago, d00p said:

Well this does not happen if you stick to the default distribution apt.sources....this is definetly a debian/apt topic you can google how to avoid installing newer major versions of specific packages

Ok, thanks for the answer. In my case this would be:

apt-mark hold php

I just don't get it, why other software does not have this issue, although dependencies are similar (php is needed, but php8.1 is enough to have). That's why I have oen step more now 🙂 It might also only be a problem in my head and I'll leave it like that 😄

14 minutes ago, techie204 said:

(php is needed, but php8.1 is enough to have).

should be the same for the froxlor package but what you did was trying to remove the META package...not a specific version

Mh, I don't get it 😄 what do you mean with "...not a sepecific version". I have the impression, I can't make myself clear or misunderstand something in generel.

Yes I was trying to remove the meta-package, because I already have a specific version installed. What I wished for is:

- I do install php8.1 and corresponding packages php8.1-{...}
- when I install froxlor, there is a dependency for php, e.g. >= 7.4
- when php8.1 is installed, then the dependency is met and NOT reliant on the installed meta-package

On another server I do have a software installed with this dependency. I have also different versions of php installed (7.4, 8.0, 8.1), but not the meta-package (which is depending 8.1). The software checks, whether php{x.y} is installed and finds a version >= 7.4, therefore the dependency is met.

Maybe I found something more here:

# apt depends froxlor
froxlor
 |Depends: apache2
 |Depends: php (>= 1:7.1)
 |Depends: php-cgi (>= 1:7.1)
  Depends: php-fpm (>= 1:7.1)
  Depends: php-cli
    php5.6-cli
    php7.0-cli
    php7.1-cli
    php7.2-cli
    php7.3-cli
    php7.4-cli
    php8.0-cli
    php8.1-cli

For e.g. php-cli, the other packages are referenced. And for all the php-{*} packages the meta-apckages are not needed, but the version like php8.1-cli are enough. Is it maybe here, that for php-package it is not sufficient to have php8.1 installed as with the others, because they are not in the list like that!?

we can't just specifiy the meta package as we require a specific minimum php-version. All the packages I've checked that somehow depend on php never specify a mininum required version. This might work for us most of the time but not if you e.g. just have php7.0 installed (which you have the liberty to do!).

I'm not a debian/apt packaging pro - I'm sure the package is not perfect but I don't know any other way to do what we require as for now, sorry.

2 minutes ago, d00p said:

we can't just specifiy the meta package as we require a specific minimum php-version. All the packages I've checked that somehow depend on php never specify a mininum required version. This might work for us most of the time but not if you e.g. just have php7.0 installed (which you have the liberty to do!).

I'm not a debian/apt packaging pro - I'm sure the package is not perfect but I don't know any other way to do what we require as for now, sorry.

No problem, thanks for your work! I also do not want to overcomplicate things and I am not a pro in any of this 😄 sorry.

What I would wonder is now the difference for the above mentioned packages php and php-cli (and maybe also php-fpm)-> all are required from froxlor, but with cli and fpm it is enough to have php8.1-* installed, with php not -> that seems strange. Maybe somebody else knows one day why this is like that 🙂 thanks anyway for the help!