Froxlor Forum

Issues with postfix

rushlink

Question

Hello everyone,

I'm having problems with postfix. I've been searching for a solution to the problem for more than 2 weeks at this point (only been 'really' trying for a week though). I've reinstalled and reconfigured postfix to no avail.

PHP can send mail no issue...

I've got postfix with dovecot installed per the instructions provided in froxlor (configuration tab), and I have one customer set up with a FQDN.

I have an email account 'webmaster@customer.com' which appears to work properly - you can log in and view all of the mailboxes, etc.

When I attempt to send an email from this account here is what happens.
To external address (gmail), the email is delivered without any problems

To internal address (eg: to self), dovecot gives the following message "status=bounced (mail for customer.com loops back to myself)"

One suggestion I found online was to add the customer.com domain to `/etc/postfix/main.cf`'s 'mydestionation' line, which I did at one point. What happened was any email sent internally from webmaster@customer.com simply was forwarded to my root email addressed as configured in /etc/aliases. - "to=<ROOT_EMAIL>, orig_to=<webmaster@customer.com>, relay=local, delay=0.13, delays=0.1/0.03/0/0.01, dsn=5.1.1"

I have ensured that all of my mysql passwords are correct in all of the configuration files, and I have ensured that all of the configuration files were edited properly -- it is quite confusing that on the last step (editing postfix/master.cf) you actually are told to move the file instad of copying it... Moving the file and then directly editing the original location makes it difficult to add lines to the end...)

I have also tried reinstalling postfix and starting from scratch.

I have tried removing some restrictions in /etc/postfix/main.cf on the `smtpd_sender_restrictions` line as suggested in another post, it made no difference.

In addition to this, I can not receive any mails.

Any help would be appreciated.  I have been working on this for too long at this point!!!!!

3 answers to this question

Yes, the myhostname, and mydomain are both the web-host FQDN (my website).

Both the customer website and my web server point correctly to the servers IP address, as far as I can tell.  What records are required for it to point correctly.  I have do have both MX and A records, as well as SPF.

Alright.  Fixed the issue....

1. Firewall... I had the firewall to only allow ME to connect to port 25 - so I opened that up

1a. Immediately, I was getting spammed - so I set up fail2ban
2. I was getting two errors at this point..

2a. Local>Local mail = 'mail loops back to myself'
2b. External>Local mail = 'realy access denied (RCPT)'

2c. After some thinking&research I came to the conclusion that both of those mean that the server can't locate the domain it's calling for
2d. So.. I looked into the mysql-virtual_mailbox_domains.cf file....  It was completely incorrect - i had copied the wrong file into here... Corrected that file...

3. Permissions issue in /etc/dovecot/conf.d/...  both 10-auth.conf and 01-mail-stack-delivery.conf have to be set to 0644

So anyone else having a similar issue...
Double check your config files and make sure you didn't copy something into the wrong file.

Archived