Froxlor Forum

"Perl/CGI SuExec-Workaround" permission denied

knox

Question

Hi,

i am using froxlor 0.9.34-1 on debian jessie with apache 2.4 and suexec and i came across a little issue regarding the "Perl/CGI SuExec-Workaround":

AH00037: Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /var/customers/webs/web1/cgi-bin

after having a closer look arround i found the cause:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 55 Nov 22 11:27 /var/customers/webs/web1/cgi-bin -> /var/www/cgi-bin/web1/7c80caaaa75a9aaaaf043edaaaacfaaa/

the symlink owner is root:root, but that is not allowed by the apache config which sets +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch:

<Directory "/var/customers/webs/web1/">
  Options -Indexes +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch +FollowSymLinks
  AllowOverride None
  AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl
  Require all granted
</Directory>

as a temporary workarround i have changed the owner of the symlink to match the owner of the target so apache has nothing more to complain:

chown -h web1:web1 /var/customers/webs/web1/cgi-bin

i am not sure what is the better approach for a permanent fix, whether to add the chown to the suexec-workaround or to get rid of +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch. probably the latter is the worse.

3 answers to this question

in case of the "Perl/CGI SuExec-Workaround" the cgi-bin is a symlink. and indeed it has wrong permissions. do you have a hint for me where i should look for the piece of script that actually creates it? once i find the root cause for the wrong ownership i'm going to fix it and create a pull request.

Archived