Froxlor Forum

Upgrade a manual install via apt

elliotberg

Question

Hi,

I've got a Froxlor install running on a VPS which was installed before there were suitable deb packages available, which I believe has also been upgraded once before (but I'm not sure from what version, nor if that's relevant). I'm getting a lot of pressure to upgrade the Froxlor instance due to the security issues in recent months, however I can't afford any issues with the control panel as we have dozens of clients using it.

If I'm going to do an upgrade, then it seems logical to start using a packaged version in order to make future upgrades easier, as well as being able to retain historical installers - what I need to know is whether there are likely to be any issues with using the currently packaged installer, and whether there's anything in particular I should keep a copy of to one side in case I need to revert.

A quick poke around suggests it's installed to /usr/share/froxlor, and we're using the FTP (pure-ftpd), MySQL, Postfix and Apache services, some with slight local modifications outside of the Froxlor control panel (e.g. MySQL users, additional Postfix conig for DKIM and SRS, modified spam/virus scanning config for performance). We already take backups of the data directory for froxlor (/var/customers/), and nightly database dumps of all databases - if I also take a copy of /usr/share/froxlor then is there anything else needed to revert a failed uprgade?

I'm currently running version 0.9.31.2. Previously other people in my team had handled this, so I'd not needed to look at it, so I've not got much prior knowledge of how the install is configured - but if you have specific questions I'm sure I can find the answers.

Thanks,

Elliot

3 answers to this question

Archived