Froxlor Forum

Help with FTP

parton720

Question

I just installed Froxlor... Took me quite a bit of searching to figure out some of it. So I've done it twice now, and have familiarized myself a little more with it.
My only problem is I cannot login to ftp... Even with root?
So far I've configured Apache2, Bind9, dovecot, ProFTPd, and crond... Am I missing something? Do I need to do more?

The FTP server login connects, confirms user, and after password it simply says error could not connect... Not even a bad password error or anything.

Any help is appreciated! Some of the threads I did find about FTP on here were in german, so that didn't help me much.

Thanks!

-Lane

7 answers to this question

proFTPd can you direct me to the logs? I'll google for it in a few hours but if you reply before then it will be helpful ;)

I would normally assume it's an authentication problem but it determines that there's a password required for the selected login name. Does it have to have ftp_ before the name to login? I think I saw a settin for that but it didn't work either. Like I said I am sure it's a configuration problem, just gotta figure out where.

Thanks for your help, it's reassuring to see the developer active on a project I just found yesterday!

logs are always in /var/log - just look around there, you'll find something.

The FTP-users do not have to start with "ftp". It's just an infix for new ftp-users the customer adds. E.g. if the customer is web1 and he adds another ftp-user, it will be named "web1ftp1"

I'll post this here real quick before I research some more on google, but the error is

mod_sql/4.3: unrecoverable backend error: (1045) Access denied for user 'froxlor'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

and then checkSQLLog for more blah blah blah. I'm gonna look into the froxlor user and the MySQL access.

Thanks man! Wish I could have responded faster, but I was stuck in class all morning.

Edit:

Got that working on one server. Strange that it didn't work on another server! I simply had the wrong password in the file. Thanks a lot for your help my friend, I'm sure I'll have more questions in time.

On another note...

Do I need to install nameservers? What components can I live without? It seems to me like I don't really need to have a mailserver(except for internal mail to be sent from me to customers), and I thought nameservers were easily handled elsewhere? My goal is to set this up for a web firm that will host clients under it. They probably all use google for email, and I don't understand nameservers fully to know why or if I need them...

Any processes I can go without and save memory is a plus!

Thanks,

-Lane

You're fast my friend! I actually figured that out so no worries, but as I had edited, can you give me some direction with this?

On another note...

Do I need to install nameservers? What components can I live without? It seems to me like I don't really need to have a mailserver(except for internal mail to be sent from me to customers), and I thought nameservers were easily handled elsewhere? My goal is to set this up for a web firm that will host clients under it. They probably all use google for email, and I don't understand nameservers fully to know why or if I need them...

Any processes I can go without and save memory is a plus!

Thanks,

-Lane

You do not need to have nameserver-services installed and configured if you order and maintain your domains with another provider. This is the case most of the time. You can still use E-Mail services of course.

DNS servers are needed in any case. They match a domain-name to its destination IP address (your server). But as said, if you registered your domain with some provider, they most likely give you nameservers so you can actually use the domain properly.

Archived