Froxlor Forum

[solved] Postfix doesn't seem to like me very much

Lolmewn

Question

Hi there.

I for some time now am renting a server with a hosting company, which offers Froxlor as default installation on their boxes.

I never fully utilized the futures of Froxlor, but am currently changing that. Froxlor is pretty damn awesome!

So I wanted to change my email-addresses to use my box with Froxlor on it. I went ahead and set my domain there, after adding a customer (me), and set up email for it.

Receiving of email works great, I didn't even have to reconfigure anything on my mail client. So that was awesome.

Then I tried sending an email. That's where my problem is: For some reason it can't send the email. 

I'm using Windows Live Mail as mail client, and I think PostFix was pre-installed as SMTP program on the box.

A screeny of my settings (Sorry for it being in Dutch, I tried to find language settings but failed to find them):

ScreenShot049.jpg

Then of course, there's also the Froxlor settings:

ScreenShot050.jpg

The box is Debian 6 by the way, and Froxlor is v0.9.27-1

I am absolutely clueless what I'm doing wrong, anyone have an idea? Or do you need more information?

6 answers to this question

what's the error-message when you try to send an email? did you try taking a look at the server-mail.log if there's anything in it?

Windows Live Mail asks me for username + password (using info@lolmewn.nl as username, and the same password I entered in Froxlor), but seems to reject it. Server is mail.lolmewn.nl.

I tried to find the file you mentioned ( find / -name server-mail.log ) but no results came up. Where can I find it?

Also, thank you for your reply.

the file is not named "server-mail.log" :) You usually will find some logs in /var/log named "mail*" or just take a look at /var/log/messages if you're on debian

Ah, this is getting me closer to the solution. It tells me this:

Mar 22 13:39:12 v22013011097610151 postfix/smtpd[26561]: connect from xx-xxx-xx-xx.dynamic.upc.nl[xx.xxx.xx.xx]

Mar 22 13:39:12 v22013011097610151 postfix/smtpd[26561]: warning: xx-xxx-xx-xx.dynamic.upc.nl[xx.xxx.xx.xx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: authentication failure
Mar 22 13:39:12 v22013011097610151 postfix/smtpd[26561]: lost connection after AUTH from xx-xxx-xx-xx.dynamic.upc.nl[xx.xxx.xx.xx]
Mar 22 13:39:12 v22013011097610151 postfix/smtpd[26561]: disconnect from xx-xxx-xx-xx.dynamic.upc.nl[xx.xxx.xx.xx]

Looks like the auth fails. What login parameters should I be using? I thought it'd be the e-mail address and the password I provided when creating an account for this e-mail address, but using those seem to give this.

search the forum for "postfix sasl" or similar...this is a pretty common error on debian

Thanks, fixed it now. It's not a pretty fix, but it works.

For anyone else having this issue: Login to Froxlor as admin, go to Server --> Settings --> Security Options (Configure) --> Enable the tickbox for saving passwords in plain-text in the database.

Archived