Froxlor Forum

php-fpm: .htaccess - Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects....

bjo

Question

Hi,

I tried to switch from php-fcgi to php-fpm. The most things worked fine, but several wordpress-installations produce internal server errors. In the apache2-errorlog I got "Request exceeded the limit of 10 internal redirects due to probable configuration error. Use'LimitInternalRecursion' to increase the limit if necessary".

The recursion seems to be caused by the rewrite-rules in the .htaccess:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

Did any of you got similar problems and found a solution?

1 answer to this question

i had a very similar problem with a customers joomla installation and my new server using apache2 + suexec + php5-fpm.

it came down to 1 line which was not matching correctly

you need to debug this properly to get results.

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/index\.php

change to:

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/fastcgiphp/*

fixed the problem for me.

it seems that the action used in the directoy-options (Action php5-fastcgi /fastcgiphp) is affecting mod_rewrite in a weird way.

i didn't fully understand it myself as i'm no expert to rewrite rules.

my apache debug.log if it helps:

[Mon Apr 18 22:20:32 2011] [debug] core.c(3063): [client ***.***.***.***] r->uri = /index.php
[Mon Apr 18 22:20:32 2011] [debug] core.c(3069): [client ***.***.***.***] redirected from r->uri = /fastcgiphp/index.php
[Mon Apr 18 22:20:32 2011] [debug] core.c(3069): [client ***.***.***.***] redirected from r->uri = /index.php
[Mon Apr 18 22:20:32 2011] [debug] core.c(3069): [client ***.***.***.***] redirected from r->uri = /fastcgiphp/index.php
[Mon Apr 18 22:20:32 2011] [debug] core.c(3069): [client ***.***.***.***] redirected from r->uri = /index.php

same issue with wordpress and the same solution applies:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/fastcgiphp/*
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . index.php [L]
</IfModule>
# END WordPress

*edit* added a wildcard solution that works for all subdirectories.

Archived