Froxlor Forum

[note] Dovecot, Sieve and Froxlor - Authentication

adlerweb

Question

Since it took some time to get my dovecot working with sieve i post this note here so people using google/forum-search dont have to debug the whole thing again.

In previous versions (Syscp-Times for me) using server side mail filtering/sorting/... (sieve) and its remote management (managesieve) could easily be configured using the Dovecot-documentation. On my new server authentication on managesieve always failed:

Client:

NO "Authentication failed."

Server:

managesieve-login: Aborted login (auth failed, 1 attempts): user=<x@y.z>, method=PLAIN, rip=12.23.34.45, lip=54.43.32.21, TLS

This is related to froxlor's new dovecot<->sql-connection. The newer dovecot-sql.conf now checks if a User is allowed to use the tried protocol:

password_query = ? WHERE (username = '%u' OR email = '%u') AND ((imap = 1 AND '%Ls' = 'imap') OR (pop3 = 1 AND '%Ls' = 'pop3') OR '%Ls' = 'smtp')"

so you have to allow managesieve - in my example for all users:

password_query = "SELECT username AS user, password_enc AS password, homedir AS userdb_home, uid AS userdb_uid, gid AS userdb_gid, CONCAT('*:storage=', quota,'M') AS userdb_quota_rule, concat('maildir:', maildir) AS userdb_mail FROM mail_users WHERE (username = '%u' OR email = '%u') AND ((imap = 1 AND '%Ls' = 'imap') OR (pop3 = 1 AND '%Ls' = 'pop3') OR '%Ls' = 'smtp')"

(0.9.16)

1 answer to this question

Since I also had the problem of authentication on the SMTP server and the queries has been changed since 0.9.16, I replaced

OR '%Ls' = 'smtp')

with

OR '%Ls' = 'smtp' OR '%Ls' = 'sieve')

in the line with

password_query = [...]

/etc/dovecot/dovecot-sql.conf.

So we have

password_query = SELECT username AS user, password_enc AS password, CONCAT(homedir, maildir) AS userdb_home, uid AS userdb_uid, gid AS userdb_gid, CONCAT('maildir:', homedir, maildir) AS userdb_mail, CONCAT('maildir:storage=', (quota*1024)) as userdb_quota FROM mail_users WHERE (username = '%u' OR email = '%u') AND ((imap = 1 AND '%Ls' = 'imap') OR (pop3 = 1 AND '%Ls' = 'pop3') OR '%Ls' = 'smtp' OR '%Ls' = 'sieve')

(Version 0.9.23)

Archived