Froxlor Forum

Debian Squeeze, Froxlor, Postfix and Courier: Courier IMAPd fails to locate mail directories

robin24

Question

Hello there,

today, I installed Froxlor on a fresh installation of Debian Squeeze (64 bit), I installed Froxlor from the deb repository.

After installation was completed, I went ahead and set up all the services according to the config templates provided by Froxlor. As for my mail server preferences, I chose Postfix for the MTA and Courier IMAP / POP for retrieving messages. They were also configured according to the templates, and all services seem to be running just fine.

Afterwards, I created a new domain called debspace.org to Froxlor and created a new customer called robin. After logging in to the new customer account, I created the email address robin@debspace.org.

Now, it seems as if authenticating with Postfix and sending messages works just fine, however this isn't the case with mail retrieval through courier. Whenever I try to connect using an external mail client, I get an error stating that the connection failed and the following entry in /var/log/mail.log:

Mar 15 22:54:14 server imapd: robin@debspace.org: No such file or directory

What could be the problem in this case? Courier seems to be able to handle the connection and all, but can't seem to find the directory for this email address on the server?

Thanks a lot for any help!!!

Robin

5 answers to this question

Hi,

great idea, thanks!

I did this and also deleted and recreated both the customer and the domain? Unfortunately, the issue still persists. However, I was able to track down the problem more precisely, and I'm pretty sure I now know what's causing the issue.

By examining the MySQL database that Froxlor created, I found a table called mail_users. Checking the Courier config, I found that this is also the database table that Courier gets its data from. Looking at the table, I found the entry for the mail address created by me, robin@debspace.org. Everything in there looks good so far, except for the homedir and maildir entries. The homedir entry points to /var/customers/mail, which seems alright, the directory exists and all is good. However, the maildir entry points to robin/robin@debspace.org? Well, I assume this would then have to be within the homedir, so the whole path would look like /var/customers/mail/robin/robin@debspace.org. Well, I guess this would work if this path actually existed? Instead, the folder structure created by Froxlor only goes as deep as /var/customers/mail/robin - the robin@debspace.org directory is completely missing. So, I'm assuming that when I created the "robin@debspace.org" mail account from within the customer account, the related folder was not created by Froxlor for whatever reason, at least that's the only explanation that would make sense to me right now? So? What could I do now to fix this, and get Froxlor to create mail account folders on the server so that Postfix and Courier will know where to put / locate EMail messages?

Thanks for any help with this!!! :-)

Robin

Hi there,

OK! I now recreated all the config files, also made sure all the permissions are set right, trashed out the old logs, restarted all the daemons, rebuilt the Froxlor configuration and re-created the customer and the domain? And now all seems to be working just fine! :-)

I even connected to all services via telnet and ran some protocol-related commands to make sure it's working, and it seems like all is fine and stable.

Thanks a lot for giving me the motivation to go through all these steps again - now I might never have to touch Plesk ever again :-) :-) :-)

Robin

hi,

I have had the same problem, installed from apt any problems - after install by www nice and easy. However any new folder is not created when I have added a new costumer (/var/costumer/webs etc are empty) the same with courier / posfix -> imap problem. so:

How permissions should look? how solve the problem that froxlor looks looks ok, but the script doesnt create subfolders /etc

ps:I apply "Rebuild config files"

pps: I checked /var/log/mail -> i can log on to imap.

sorry I am n00b in this area, and I cannot find a solution

Archived