Froxlor Forum

Bind9 for FreeBSD

TBart

Bind9 for FreeBSD?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bind9 be included as a FreeBSD nameserver option?

• Yes, of course! Hurry up!!!
    • I don't really care.
    • No, PowerDNS is the nuts. (NOT!)

Question

Hi Froxlor Devs,

I've been holding off upgrading our SysCP server to Froxlor for almost a year now waiting for you guys to incorporate Bind9 into the FreeBSD configuration. Please tell me what could possibly be the holdup? I was so disappointed to google this lame excuse, and I must quote: "Sorry, there have never been any bind-configs for freebsd, as we don't have any...". HOW can this possibly be the case if this project is a fork of the SysCP project and Bind was an option therein? My rant having been sufficiently vented, I would be happy to contribute towards incorporating Bind9 into the FreeBSD configuration for Froxlor. I think you guys are onto a good thing, and I am glad that the project is enjoying continued development. Kindly point me in the right direction by outlining your requirements, this feature is now well overdue, and I'd like to help you make it ready for 0.9.26.

2 answers to this question

There were no configs for bind9 on FreeBSD from the SysCP project, I don't know where your information came from.

Please continue discussing on the right place: http://redmine.froxlor.org/issues/668

I'm sure you also know this quote:

Due to not only editing the configfiles, but needing to change the bind - cron, this is postponed (not rejected!) since it needs intensive testing.

Er, my information came from successfully using SysCP on FreeBSD as a hosting server for over 3 years, and guess which DNS server was the only one available? No, there's no prize for this one. Anyway, I understand that you are implementing a Bind cron that wasn't present on SysCP, and that this needs testing. I was really hoping that this would make it into the next release, but it doesn't look like it.

Archived