Froxlor Forum

DNS

Stephen

Question

I need to know to what degree DNS is managed by Froxlor. I am using Bind9.

Is there a need to manually edit the named.conf, froxlor_bind.conf, named.conf.local and named.conf.options files?

Or will Froxlor automatically edit these files to make it sufficient as the admin to enter the nameserver's hostnames at Settings/Nameserver settings/Nameservers for Froxlor to get the domain names mapped to the IP address entered at Settings/System settings/IP-Address on the world wide web?

8 answers to this question

It's automatic, you should check it before asking.

I need to know to what degree DNS is managed by Froxlor. I am using Bind9.

Is there a need to manually edit the named.conf, froxlor_bind.conf, named.conf.local and named.conf.options files?

Or will Froxlor automatically edit these files to make it sufficient as the admin to enter the nameserver's hostnames at Settings/Nameserver settings/Nameservers for Froxlor to get the domain names mapped to the IP address entered at Settings/System settings/IP-Address on the world wide web?

It's automatic, you should check it before asking.

I did try to check this. After I entered a name server at "Server > Settings > Nameserver settings" I saw no changes in any of the .conf files at /etc/bind. And so that led to the question of this thread.

Prior to doing this I had followed the instructions at Server > Configuration where in the "Distribution" field I entered "Debian 5 (Lenny)" in the "Server" field I entered "Nameserver (DNS)" and in the "Daemon" field "Bind9".

I have found installation instructions at "http://files.syscp.org/docs/syscp-howto-etch/#id260739" that require some manual editing of files. But because I do not know what changes you have made I do not know how relevant this is to Froxlor. Also it is confusing because I do not know if these IP addresses:

allow-transfer {

12.34.56.78;

12.34.57.89;

};

are example IP addresses or actual ones everyone should use.

They are shown in the Froxlor-Panel under "Configuration" -> "[your distro]" -> "Nameserver (DNS)" -> "Bind9"

Configuration is being generated in /etc/bind/froxlor_bind.conf and the folder /etc/bind/domains

Also, keep in mind, that the config file are updated when the froxlor cronjob is being executed, so you may have to wait a few minutes or run cron manually.

Would it also work to use Froxlor's "Rebuild Config Files" menu item?

This is solved. The Bind9 configuration files are changing now as expected. Something was wrong with cron. Its tasks weren't getting done. I redid the configurations under "other." The cron tasks got done after that. I did not know which configuration did it.

Archived