Froxlor Forum

DNS service (bind)

woro

Question

Hi,

I'm completely new to Froxlor and these might be newbie questions. Feel free to point me to any available documentation I might have missed.

I just started testing Froxlor (latest version) in my environment and the first service I was checking is DNS (using bind9 in my case) where I basically have two questions:

- I was surprised that the standard subdomains for users is created directly below the FQDN I setup initially. This is not really a

problem but was somehow unexpected. Then I wondered that there is no DNS zone maintained for that default domain. From a short hint

on IRC I gather that it's not needed since the FQDN should already point to that host. While that might be true I haven't seen an

installation document which explains the initial DNS setup (one has to wildcards, right?).

- after I created the first domain for the testaccount the DNS zone was created apparently correctly but bind was not restarted.

I noticed because my bind9 is running in chroot and the init script is taking care of setting the chroot up but the generated

files were not copied.

How can I check or debug what is happening?

Thanks,

Wolfgang

5 answers to this question

- I was surprised that the standard subdomains for users is created directly below the FQDN I setup initially. This is not really a

problem but was somehow unexpected.

That's pretty common but also customizable in the panel's settings

- after I created the first domain for the testaccount the DNS zone was created apparently correctly but bind was not restarted.

I noticed because my bind9 is running in chroot and the init script is taking care of setting the chroot up but the generated

files were not copied.

How can I check or debug what is happening?

Phew, sorry, don't know how this bind-chroot-thing works, doesn't bind still read the configs from a specific directory?

Phew, sorry, don't know how this bind-chroot-thing works, doesn't bind still read the configs from a specific directory?

My basic question was if bind is reloaded or restarted at all and how?

On my system the chroot setup is done from the init script in case of restart or reload. What is not sufficient is to reload the config via -HUP or alike.

The way how chroot works in that case is that there is

/etc/named.conf - general configuration

/etc/named.d/* - included config files like froxlor_bind.conf

/var/lib/named - chroot

/var/lib/named/master - normal place for zone files

I configured froxlor to write /etc/named.d/froxlor_bind.conf and at the same time that means that it creates

/etc/named.d/domains/* for its zone files.

That's not a problem since the init script transfers the stuff below /etc/named.d into the chroot but as explained only if started or reloaded through the init script.

I verified that DNS works correctly when I restart bind using the init script.

...see settings -> bind reload-command (which of course is your init-script!)

Yes, it's the correct init script. Is that called immediately after the bind config files have been modified/created?

How can I enable debugging since if that's the case it didn't work for me.

Archived