Froxlor Forum

openSUSE support

woro

Question

Hi,

I'll probably try to use froxlor for a shared hosting server I want to provide (currently doing everything manually). This server will run openSUSE 11.1 in the first phase and later something newer 11.3 or 11.4.

I know nothing about froxlor yet but I know quite something about openSUSE and configuring its services. I found that openSUSE support is not that up to date in froxlor and wanted to ask some questions.

- the contributed documentation and package is meant as authoritative distribution of froxlor for openSUSE? In that case I have some feedback on packaging and documentation. Where is the best place to report and discuss that?

- the 11.x config templates are not part of the official SVN tree for example. What are the plans of incorporating them? (openSUSE 10.0 is _quite_ old and probably should be removed).

Wolfgang

5 answers to this question

openSuSE 10.0 will most likely be removed in Froxlor-1.0. Till then we will see if we can get in touch with the openSuSE package maintainer and talk about adding opensuse 11 configs

I'm running Froxlor on a production openSUSE 11.1 system now and for that reworked/refined most of the configuration templates which should basically work for most of the 11.x series. How can I bring that work back into the Froxlor codebase so that I don't need to maintain my own modifications?

Wolfgang

I'm running Froxlor on a production openSUSE 11.1 system now and for that reworked/refined most of the configuration templates which should basically work for most of the 11.x series. How can I bring that work back into the Froxlor codebase so that I don't need to maintain my own modifications?

Wolfgang

best thing is to have a look at the configs from the suse package

https://build.opensuse.org/package/files?package=froxlor&project=home%3Aasemen

froxlor.suse.adapt.template.config.tar.bz2 is the file for that.

if you see differences and they make sense for you, you should send the patch upstream -> the package maintainer.

what we don't care about is the filesystem layout, as every distro does want it somewhere else. we are not going to handle that as we are not doing any OS detection (right now) to do this properly.

i'll try to get in touch with the maintainer asap to deprecate the opensuse 10 config for the next release, eventually removing them in the release after that (might not happen due to the fact SLES 10 is supported upsteam until mid-2013 and packages are being built for that by the buildservice, we'll see.)

best thing is to have a look at the configs from the suse package

https://build.opensuse.org/package/files?package=froxlor&project=home%3Aasemen

froxlor.suse.adapt.template.config.tar.bz2 is the file for that.

if you see differences and they make sense for you, you should send the patch upstream -> the package maintainer.

what we don't care about is the filesystem layout, as every distro does want it somewhere else. we are not going to handle that as we are not doing any OS detection (right now) to do this properly.

i'll try to get in touch with the maintainer asap to deprecate the opensuse 10 config for the next release, eventually removing them in the release after that (might not happen due to the fact SLES 10 is supported upsteam until mid-2013 and packages are being built for that by the buildservice, we'll see.)

I'm maintaining my own package in openSUSE's buildservice as I'm an active member and I told the other maintainer about my improved package. Up to now he didn't integrate my patches for unknown reasons. Please note that I'm not a beginner as I have worked for SUSE for several years myself and know the system pretty well. I don't care if the 10.x configuration will be removed or not but I just want to contribute my work back to you. It's your decision to integrate it or not.

Wolfgang

I'm maintaining my own package in openSUSE's buildservice as I'm an active member and I told the other maintainer about my improved package. Up to now he didn't integrate my patches for unknown reasons. Please note that I'm not a beginner as I have worked for SUSE for several years myself and know the system pretty well. I don't care if the 10.x configuration will be removed or not but I just want to contribute my work back to you. It's your decision to integrate it or not.

Wolfgang

in that case, i guess i'll have a look at your package in the OBS. thanks :)

- the contributed documentation and package is meant as authoritative distribution of froxlor for openSUSE?

We were told there is someone packaing Froxlor on openSuse so we added it to the download page with a notice that this

package is maintained by a community member.

In that case I have some feedback on packaging and documentation. Where is the best place to report and discuss that?

Either try to post here or contact the maintainer directly.

- the 11.x config templates are not part of the official SVN tree for example. What are the plans of incorporating them? (openSUSE 10.0 is _quite_ old and probably should be removed).

openSuSE 10.0 will most likely be removed in Froxlor-1.0. Till then we will see if we can get in touch with the openSuSE package maintainer and talk about adding opensuse 11 configs

Archived