Froxlor Forum

php mail-function - sender name and mail from panel_customers

Arno Battke

Question

Hi, we are using  Froxlor 0.10.28 on one of our servers. The support of our server couldn't help us.

When mails from a custom domain are sent through php mail function, the sender mail address is the mail address from the panel_customers table and the name is the name of the customer. 

On earlier Froxlor release, there was written "froxlor user". So there seems to be a place, where this is connection between php and froxlor is set. But we don't want, that the php mail function uses the mail address from customer table, because it could be another mail address domain than the one of the actual domain. And this causes errors in deliverability, because IP of sender mail address does not match IP of domain.

Additionally, the name of the customer does not have to be the person, which is reliable for the service/website etc.

And finally, it's also a data protection issue, because "private" address and name is sent...

Our server provider and it's technical support couldn't help with this issue.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Webserver: Apache/2.4.25 (Debian)
PHP-Version: 7.1.33-40+0~20210826.58+debian9~1.gbp6c4ede
MySQL-Server-Version: 5.5.5-10.1.48-MariaDB-0+deb9u2

6 answers to this question

Firstly: 0.10.28 is over a year old, you should update!

19 minutes ago, Arno Battke said:

But we don't want, that the php mail function uses the mail address from customer table, because it could be another mail address domain than the one of the actual domain

The best solution is simple: send email via SMTP with an existing email-account. Way more better for deliverability and your ipaddress reputation.

As you are using mod_php and not fcgid/php-fpm you could try setting the follow option via .htaccess file alternatively:

php_admin_value sendmail_path "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -f some-other-email@address.com"

vor 10 Minuten schrieb d00p:

Firstly: 0.10.28 is over a year old, you should update!

The best solution is simple: send email via SMTP with an existing email-account. Way more better for deliverability and your ipaddress reputation.

As you are using mod_php and not fcgid/php-fpm you could try setting the follow option via .htaccess file alternatively:

php_admin_value sendmail_path "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -f some-other-email@address.com"

Thank you for your fast reply. We or to be precise the support already updated to the maxium version currently supported. Had kind of discussion, where they told us, it's all safe and there is no need to update always... bla bla...

We have many website with wordpress and in standard configuration mails are send with php function and not over SMTP. If it would be an easy alternative, I would have switched already...

Your proposal needs to set a hard coded mail address for each domain. Is there a way to set the senders name globally to panel_customers -> company and the mail address to admin@one-of-our-server-domain. This way, IP of domain matches IP of mail.

I'm currently not sure, if this is best solution. Perhaps we change the mail address of the customers in panel_customers to a mail address of the domain on the server. But this would leave the problem, that there is still the name of the customer visible and I don't want to delete it form customer table.

Sorry for confusion... I'm still in progress of searching a solution... 

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Shortie:

You should update the whole server.

Debian 9 (Stretch) reached the End of Life (EOL) on June 30, 2022

I would, if I could. Already argued with support and said, that GDPR requires state of the art IT security/software. They told me, an appraiser/expert would deny this in court... 

So I stopped arguing...

Just now, Arno Battke said:

where they told us, it's all safe and there is no need to update always... bla bla...

sounds like a GREAT hoster....</sarcasm>

1 minute ago, Arno Battke said:

I would, if I could. Already argued with support and said, that GDPR requires state of the art IT security/software. They told me, an appraiser/expert would deny this in court... 

So they just don't want to run a simple dist-upgrade? Wow they sound bad...if you are interested in GDPR compliance in hosting regarding recent versions and way better support, hook me up, I'll be happy to migrate your stuff

Just now, Arno Battke said:

We have many website with wordpress and in standard configuration mails are send with php function and not over SMTP. If it would be an easy alternative, I would have switched already...

Yes, sadly wordpress requires a plugin for this...

2 minutes ago, Arno Battke said:

Your proposal needs to set a hard coded mail address for each domain. Is there a way to set the senders name globally to panel_customers -> company and the mail address to admin@one-of-our-server-domain. This way, IP of domain matches IP of mail.

No, only solution would be to patch the froxlor file: https://github.com/Froxlor/Froxlor/blob/0.10.28/lib/Froxlor/Cron/Http/Apache.php#L575

3 minutes ago, Arno Battke said:

I'm currently not sure, if this is best solution. Perhaps we change the mail address of the customers in panel_customers to a mail address of the domain on the server. But this would leave the problem, that there is still the name of the customer visible and I don't want to delete it form customer table.

Can you tell me where exactly the NAME of the customer is shown? the cronjob only sets the email address of the customer for the sendmail parameters,

Since we also do webservers... i suggest you to switch your support company.

d00p already offered you that, his company has fair prices, excellent support (hence he is lead developer 😉 ) and in case of GDPR you have already fucked up with that old system.

Better now then when it is too late.

just my thoughts to this...