Froxlor Forum

Pro tips needed!

Max Amigo

Question

Hi guys!

I want to install froxlor for my personal projects: many websites on one host behind cloudflare.

I have tried to install it on Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS. Installation was smooth. But didn't succeed to configure:

1. New domains were always pointing to /var/www, not to /var/customers/webs/editor1/mysite1.com/
  2. I didn't manage to setup Let's encrypt. It always was HTTP, never HTTPS.

So, I started to dig the docs....

In the docs I saw references to: Debian Wheezy which is version 7.

Moreover, in the docs I realised that there is kind of sequence in froxlor setup: 4. Settings before configuration!
I cannot change settings when I want and expect that everything will magically work (Am I right?) - There is kind of workflow I have to follow?

My questions are the following:

1. What happens is I want to change setting after I have configured froxlor? Or it is one way one go? How it works?

What is a right workflow with froxlor?

2. What is the best Linux distro for froxlor? I have an option to start with one the following:

• Arch Linux latest minimal
  •  CentOS 7.9 minimal
  •  CentOS 8.4 minimal
  •  Debian 10.10 LAMP
  •  Debian 10.10 minimal
  •  Debian 11 base
  •  Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS minimal
  •  Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS Nextcloud
  •  Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS minimal

15 answers to this question

Just now, Max Amigo said:

Moreover, in docs I realised that there is kind of sequence in froxlor setup: 4. Settings before configuration!
I cannot just change settings and everything magically happens (Am I right?).

Not magically, no, it's in the docs: you need to adjust the settings and then follow the configuration-steps to set up the system and services

2 minutes ago, Max Amigo said:

1. What happens is I want to change setting after I have configured froxlor? Or it is one way one go? How it works?

Most of the settings can be changed even without the need to reconfigure any services. Some few don't make sense to change afterwards (e.g. customer basedir, you'd have to manually adjust paths etc. better just not do it). Things like switching the webserver from apache to nginx for example would of course mean you'd have to go through configuration steps for webserver again

4 minutes ago, Max Amigo said:

2. What is the best Linux distro for froxlor? I have an option to start with one the following

most used - as far as i know - is debian. second ubuntu. i have not seen many people with arch or centos using froxlor

@d00p Thank you very much for you answer!

18 minutes ago, d00p said:

Not magically, no, it's in the docs: you need to adjust the settings and then follow the configuration-steps to set up the system and services

So, once I am done with settings for services froxlor gives me instruction how to configure those services. I can apply them manually or by calling

php /var/www/froxlor//install/scripts/config-services.php --froxlor-dir=/var/www/froxlor/ --create

When I add domain - I do not need reconfigure services. But I have to wait 10 minutes to Let's Encrypt.

Right?

Just now, Max Amigo said:
php /var/www/froxlor//install/scripts/config-services.php --froxlor-dir=/var/www/froxlor/ --create

did you follow ALL instructions given there? Especially the --apply command that should be run in ordner to EXECUTE the configuration-steps for the desired services

2 minutes ago, Max Amigo said:

When I add domain - I do not need reconfigure services. Right?

no you do not. The froxlor cronjob will automatically generate the corresponding document-root and webserver-vhost configs (that's the point, that's what froxlor is there for :P)

15 minutes ago, d00p said:

did you follow ALL instructions given there? Especially the --apply command that should be run in ordner to EXECUTE the configuration-steps for the desired services

Yes, I did. I will try is from scratch again. I think I got the point now.

Just whole idea of settings → configuration is new to me. But when I got it, I must say it is very smart and logical!

Now I hope I got the point: when I do services settings - it is just is DB. only when I do configuration it is getting applied.

Sorry :-) Me not very smart :-)

1 minute ago, Max Amigo said:

Now I hope I got the point: when I do services settings - it is just is DB. only when I do configuration it is getting applied.

depends on the setting - as said, not all settings are for the services that need configuration, just a few