Froxlor Forum

Migration guide for server managed by i-mscp

Pradesh Chanderpaul

Question

I have an existing server managed my i-mscp. I have searched for ways to migrate from i-mscp without success.

The i-mscp control panel us written in PHP, perl and shell scripts to manage multiple domains and manages mail (postfix,dovecote), dns (bind), apache (supports subdomains, domain aliases), backups, and so on.

I realise there is no migration scripts or guides, but I am looking for advise from people that may have embarked on similar migration journeys before.

Key to my migration is to not break the existing server as I have multiple domains with multiple clients.

I have a few requests for guiding me through to the next steps

1. Is there any reference for migrations (from other systems even) that I can use.

2. Is it possible, using froxlor, to only manage part of the system. This will allow me, for example to start with migrating the web sites first, then the emails etc, In this way, I can pace and prioriise the migration according to risk and client readiness,

3 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, Pradesh Chanderpaul said:

1. Is there any reference for migrations (from other systems even) that I can use.

Sadly, not really no. Many of these system use their own structure and ways to store the data (and the relations between them).

One would need to analyze the backend-databases and check if a migration is possible at all (can we 'translate' all the entities and relations to our structure) and then write a small scripts that reads from old and stores correctly in the new format/database.

23 minutes ago, Pradesh Chanderpaul said:

2. Is it possible, using froxlor, to only manage part of the system. This will allow me, for example to start with migrating the web sites first, then the emails etc, In this way, I can pace and prioriise the migration according to risk and client readiness,

Sure. You can install froxlor, adjust your settings and manually configure only the services (or parts of it, like creating directories etc.) needed for a migration. You then just don't install/enable the froxlor cronjob - this leads to no configurations being generated/overwritten etc.

Thank you @d00p.

You second answer is encouraging.

I will attempt an installation on a test machine and see how far I can get.

I found this page, which is an excellent starting point for me:

https://github.com/Froxlor/Froxlor/wiki/Install-froxlor-from-tarball

Key for me was this

5. Configuration of services

On of the most important parts of froxlor's setup-process. Froxlor shows you all needed commands and configuration files in the panel. You just have to copy and paste.

From that, I went to the demo again and this time revisited the
     Menu => System => Configuration => Web Server|Email|DNS etc etc

Whereas the current control panel (i-mscp) wraps the installation steps and performs the installation tasks for you, froxlor on the other hand merely points to the commands that you should run yourself.

Perfect for what I described in my initial post.