Froxlor Forum

backups

ikaRus

Question

Hi,

I tried the user backup, I ticked everything including mysql option, but the resulting tar.gz does not contain the mysql dump(s):

root@h174:~# tar tf /var/customers/webs/dudig/backup/dudig-backup_202010120010.tar.gz  
./mail/
./mail/dudig-mail.tar.gz
./web/
./web/dudig-web.tar.gz
root@h174:~#

A note here, there are few databases on the machine like froxlor ofcourse, wordpress etc., none of the databases was created via the froxlor GUI.

Where can I define which databases are to be backed up, and/or select additional locations to the backup job.

Another question, will there be an option to store backups offsite?

TIA & regards,

Dudi

9 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, ikaRus said:

none of the databases was created via the froxlor GUI.

well there you got it, how should froxlor know to which customer the databases belong?

9 minutes ago, ikaRus said:

Where can I define which databases are to be backed up, and/or select additional locations to the backup job.

You can use panel_databases to define which database belongs to which customer.

10 minutes ago, ikaRus said:

Another question, will there be an option to store backups offsite?

possible

That's correct.

The point is that in my case all the "customers" have no system knowledge , they only know how to upload/download files to/from the server, and they know how to add email and ftp users.

For everything else - they shout to the admin, I.E. me...

So having a global backup for the admin sounds like a good idea.

I'll manage.

Regards,

Dudi

Then please setup backuppc or similar so you as admin can satisfy the needs of your customers having regular backups whatsoever.

Froxlor is not a backup tool. There are many many solutions and possibilities.

12 minutes ago, ikaRus said:

The point is that in my case all the "customers" have no system knowledge , they only know how to upload/download files to/from the server, and they know how to add email and ftp users.

What more but click and then download from the given directory do they have to do to get their backup/data dump

Hello there!
Just my 2 cents of experience here. We follow a two-sided approach here.
For having a consistent bootable desaster-backup for "*.*" we use this: https://www.veeam.com/linux-backup-free.html
The base product is free. To quote d00p: There are so many backup solutions out there to choose from.
On the other hand, for having some consistent database-backup rotation on the machine itself at hand for quick access and restore, I scripted this:
(Run by crontab which has 'MAILTO=' defined (important in my eyes in general ! )

#!/bin/bash

#############################
export login=debian-sys-maint
export password=`grep password /etc/mysql/debian.cnf |tail -1|cut -d"=" -f2|sed 's/ //g' `
#############################

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

find /localbackup/ -type f -mtime +3 -iname "*gz" -exec rm {} \;

mkdir -p /localbackup
day=`date +%Y%m%d`

echo $day - Starting Backup of all current local databases

mysql -s -r -u $login --password="$password" -e 'show databases' -N | while read dbname; do
    echo Work at - $dbname
    mysqldump -u $login --password="$password" --complete-insert --single-transaction "$dbname" | gzip > /localbackup/$day-"$dbname".sql.gz;
done

echo Done

-> Depending on the actual distribution you use this may need some adjustments of course. For me it was important to have something with no included fixed credentials :)

-> Result: All DBs in existing, compressed in one directory, with a (in this case) +3 day rotation.

Greets,
Sebastian

Thanks Sebastian,

This will take care of the databases, but I have the whole server in mind...

This machine holds ~30GB of customer data, website content, uploaded files, email etc., I'll find a solution to back it all up.

Another issue is offline backup storage, I'll need to automate this as well, maybe store it on another server on the same network.

Regards,

Dudi

Then try my suggestion in line No.3: https://www.veeam.com/linux-backup-free.html

Key Bulletpoints:
- Bare-metal restore 
- Back up an entire Linux system or specific files (crash-consistent)
- Console UI or command line
- Multiple Jobs
- Multiple Backends (local, NAS, Cloud)
- Encryption: So it doesn't matter if backing up to 3rd-Party
- and so so on...

Try it out!