Froxlor Forum

Guinea pigs for froxlor on FreeBSD sought

CoCo

Question

Hi there.

Been a long time. I'm currently updating the froxlor port on FreeBSD to the most recent version (I am the maintainer). Since froxlor now offers the use of libnss-extrausers instead of libnss-mysql for ITK and other features, but libnss-extrausers is not available on FreeBSD, I've implemented a FreeBSD version named libnss-moreusers from scratch.

I'm looking for people willing to give this a spin, so I can submit this as a port, on which the FreeBSD froxlor port then can lean on. Installation is straight forward -- install with make install, create 3 files and a directory, change two entries in a FreeBSD configuration file, done.

If you're not that adventurous, but would like to see the froxlor port improved, drop your suggestions here (unless a mod steps in, oc :).

5 answers to this question

Quoting some rather famous robot: Yeah ... well, we're building our own theme park webservers ... with blackjack and hookers ! (I'll skip the "In fact, forget the park" bit ... lol).

Thanks for you offer, much appreciated.

Since we still seem to be neighbours, I'll refrain from small talk questions about the weather, and instead start taking your offer right here and now 😀

Is there a specific reason you're setting /var/lib/extrausers/shadow to group readable, instead of 0600 ? Since at least on FreeBSD, I see no reason to grant access to anyone else than uid 0.

Edited by CoCo
Fix quotation mark in my robot quote. While here, get used to how the forum software interprets ascii code smileys ...

I'm running a pre-0.10 version in production for quite some time now.

The "libnss-extrausers" thing is kind of dumb, I don't recall my workaround.

It would be nice to see a working port again, or even better, patches upstream as needed. Since Froxlor is mostly just a config generator, there's no real reason for most of the linuxisms other than people not knowing any better. I mean, all the software Froxlor configures has been running on FreeBSD forever (and in the case of that obscure webserver, nginx, developed on FreeBSD by a bunch of Russian FreeBSD nerds).

If the porting project is still active I can look through my install here to see what I've been up to. I've been putting off the version jump to 0.10.x because I didn't see anything I needed in there, but I should probably see about updating and what I have to merge back in to make it work.

Also as for nobody using FreeBSD, well more people should. Around 20% of worldwide internet traffic is coming off FreeBSD servers. It's a great platform to develop for - one distro, one way of doing things, and a clear cut line between base OS and 3rd party applications.