Froxlor Forum

Recommended network/services configuration for froxlor (modular)

User

Question

Hello,

We are looking to configure froxlor and we have some basic questions. What is the most common/recommended setup for froxlor? Is it to run each service (dns, web, ftp...) on different servers or having all services on one? I guess it all depends on the scale of hosting you are doing. We want to setup froxlor to be able to scale to many costumers and be resilient to network attacks.

Is it possible to assign each service their own ip address?. For example we would have for costumers running their website on one ip address on ports 80/443 and 21 for ftp. Then we would have admin console on another ip address and dns on another and so on.

I know you can assign specific IP addresses to specific costumers web pages but I did not see that you can also assign specific ip for ftp access for a costumer? Are access lists so costumers can allow (for example ftp access just from their own home ip address) planed at all?. Same goes for admin console. Is it possible to restrict ip access and users can easily edit it?

Is it common to expose admin console to the world? How confident are you that people will not be able to break through? I know you have 2FA for user accounts and with login timeout and strong passwords we should be safe right?

Also is there any plan to create a detailed documentation explaining each froxlor feature with clear examples (I mean each option you can select in froxlor settings)? I know you are answering every question on forum, have https://github.com/Froxlor/Froxlor/wiki and have quite good descriptions near each option but there is really no detailed explanation for each feature with clear examples. This is really what separates a good open source project to an amazing one. I guess if you make the documentation too good then people will not need your help so that's a draw back I guess.

Thank you for reading and answering my questions.

3 answers to this question

Basically, froxlor is a all-in-one-solution to be run on one server. There are possibilites to split the services but as far as I know, not very common. There are a few threads on the forum here where this has been discussed briefly and some hints are given. It's not impossible, it's just not "click and go from within the webinterface".

To answer a few of your questions directly:

3 minutes ago, User said:

Is it possible to assign each service their own ip address?

From configuration point of view: yes sure
From within froxlor: no, but froxlor gives you - the admin - the fereedom to adjust the config just as you need them

6 minutes ago, User said:

I know you can assign specific IP addresses to specific costumers web pages but I did not see that you can also assign specific ip for ftp access for a costumer?

Because these settings are mostly for the webserver-vhost-configs. Assigning IP's for FTP access makes no sense from froxlor's point of view. You don't assign available ftp-servers but just "how many ftp users can the customer add" - as said, in the basic meaning of froxlor. Special multi-server-setups are something completely different.

9 minutes ago, User said:

Same goes for admin console. Is it possible to restrict ip access and users can easily edit it?

IPs? For the admin-interface? Restrict? Don't get it....are you talking server-side or client-side ips? 

10 minutes ago, User said:

Is it common to expose admin console to the world?

Yes. not only for froxlor-users. Like all big hosting companies have their customer-panel "exposed to the world" - but as said, you are free to do what you want and need - restrict access via htaccess or whatever if you want to. Or put it behind a vpn or whatever.

11 minutes ago, User said:

I know you have 2FA for user accounts and with login timeout and strong passwords we should be safe right?

That is up to you. You should know your requirements

13 minutes ago, User said:

Also is there any plan to create a detailed documentation explaining each froxlor feature with clear examples (I mean each option you can select in froxlor settings)?

Sure...but please don't forget that I am working on froxlor in my spare time…..

13 minutes ago, User said:

but there is really no detailed explanation for each feature with clear examples.

99% of options tell you exactly what they do...what exactly are you referring to? Maybe I can fix up one or two language-strings if something is unclear. 

15 minutes ago, User said:

This is really what separates a good open source project to an amazing one.

This and the manpower behind it :)

You answered my questions perfectly.

In this question I was talking about restricting access to admin interface per each user so we would ask the costumer from what public IP address he will access the admin console for initial login and then he could add or remove IP addresses from where he could access it. I guess we can do htaccess or vpn like you said but if you could do that via web console it would be a great addition...

IPs? For the admin-interface? Restrict? Don't get it....are you talking server-side or client-side ips? 

for feature descriptions I will ask on the forums as I go.

If I decide to only run nginx are there any significant drawbacks for web hosting on froxlor? Like we would only use http, https and let's encrypt basic web hosting features. You can do that without apache on froxlor? Are there any significant advantages for running apache with froxlor?

Thanks again...

3 minutes ago, User said:

In this question I was talking about restricting access to admin interface per each user so we would ask the costumer from what public IP address he will access the admin console for initial login and then he could add or remove IP addresses from where he could access it.

That sounds like "firewall" to me :)

4 minutes ago, User said:

If I decide to only run nginx are there any significant drawbacks for web hosting on froxlor? Like we would only use http, https and let's encrypt basic web hosting features. You can do that without apache on froxlor?

Froxlor supports apache and nginx - both should work just fine with all provided features

4 minutes ago, User said:

Are there any significant advantages for running apache with froxlor?

Not for froxlor itself no. Your customer won't be able to use .htaccess files when using nginx though