Froxlor Forum

Debian + Froxlor or Death: Save a Newbie's Life Today!

davidm

Question

Hi there,

I'll preface this by saying I'm at wit's end. Please bear with me. I will get to how this relates to Froxlor.

I'm new to servers and Linux. I'm on a VPS that is "managed" (if and only if you use CentOS with WHM/cPanel, it turns out). My VPS was running slowly, couldn't figure out why, the VPS management wouldn't audit it without a concrete issue, so I got a guy from fiverr to look under the hood and fix it. He said, "Start over."

Backed up my sites and wiped the server. Decided to install Debian Squeeze 64-bit, not knowing I'd be flying solo. But how hard could it really be?

That was 10 days ago, and since then I've started over with fresh installs at least four times. I have done all kinds of things with the server besides get it running, and done all kinds of things with myself besides sleep, eat, or enjoy living. Switching back to CentOS at this point would be the reasonable thing to do, but I'm too far in. It's Debian or death.

I have managed to get ssh running, learn my way around Linux enough to get from one directory to the next and piece together directions from relevant tutorials. I've configured the various renditions of "hostname" correctly, and when I ping an external IP, I no longer get errors. As a result of pinging I have also learned that clicking out of putty is not an effective way to stop whatever is happening. Rebooting the next day when out of RAM was the next lesson, followed by the discovery of CTRL C.

At one point last week I actually had Nginx with MariaDB, FPM, and APC at least installed, a WordPress site itching for resurrection, and dim dreams of Varnish, S3, MaxCDN and Cloudflare working in blissful harfmony. Alas, I never could get anything but "page not found" and "bad gateway" errors to actually appear. I have chrooted and re-chrooted, symlinked and apt-gotten more than I had ever planned on, and as you plainly see, gone sudo-insane.

(At least the errors were served compliments of Nginx. Bittersweet.)

BIND is a good name for what it did to me for a couple of days. Eventually I got my site back online with Amazon Linux and Apache on their freebie E2C. Took about 20 minutes. If I knew what I was doing I'm sure it would take much less.

So now back to the task...

Some sort of lightweight control panel to help me get things going sure seems like a great idea at this point. ISPConfig... Webmin... Froxlor... Let's try Froxlor! Nginx + FPM + PowerDNS - sounds like a winning combination.

So now I've installed Froxlor, and apparently as a result reinstalled Apache, BIND9, and some mail programs that will never replace Google Apps. Ok, in 10 days I've learned how to find it, stop it, remove it, and purge it. I can subtract parts I don't need later. Right now I just need it to work.

Here's the current issue: When I go to http://64.xx.xx.xx/froxlor/, Firefox asks where I want to download a PHP file. I suspect this post should give me a clue as to what to do, if only I understood what it meant.

What now?

And thank you.

1 answer to this question

Archived