Froxlor Forum

[solved] Debian Package Dependencies

Stephen

I am attempting to install froxlor on a freshly created Debian 6 system. The response to the command "aptitude install froxlor" is:

The following NEW packages will be installed:
 apache2-mpm-prefork{a} apache2-utils{a} apache2.2-bin{a}
 apache2.2-common{a} courier-authdaemon{a} courier-authlib{a}
 courier-authlib-mysql{a} courier-authlib-userdb{a} courier-base{a}
 courier-imap{a} courier-pop{a} expect{a} froxlor libapache2-mod-php5{a}
 libc-client2007e{a} libdbd-mysql-perl{a} libdbi-perl{a} libgd2-noxpm{a}
 libhtml-template-perl{a} libjpeg62{a} libnet-daemon-perl{a} libonig2{a}
 libphp-phpmailer{a} libplrpc-perl{a} libpng12-0{a} libpq5{a} libqdbm14{a
 libsasl2-modules{a} libsasl2-modules-sql{a} libsqlite0{a} libt1-5{a}
 libx11-6{a} libx11-data{a} libxau6{a} libxcb1{a} libxdmcp6{a} libxpm4{a}
 maildrop{a} mlock{a} mysql-client-5.5{a} mysql-server{a}
 mysql-server-5.5{a} mysql-server-core-5.5{a} php5{a} php5-cli{a}
 php5-common{a} php5-gd{a} php5-imap{a} php5-mysql{a} php5-suhosin{a}
 postfix{ab} postfix-mysql{a} proftpd-basic{a} proftpd-mod-mysql{a}
 tcl8.5{a} webalizer{a} wwwconfig-common{a}

The trouble with this is I do not want to install apache because I use lighttpd which has, in fact, already been installed and in spite of this it wants to install apache. I do not want to install courier because I want to use dovecot, and I do not want to install proftpd because I want to use pureftpd. So now I am faced with either figuring out how to prevent these installations, or remove them later while maintaining the froxlor installation, by editing the aptitude installation files. Any package that has instructions for installation in froxlor's "Configuration" section should not be listed as a dependency in the Debian package. This is causing problems for me.

This problem is solved. It wanted to install apache2 because php5 depends on it. I installed lighttpd and then php5-cgi. After this aptitude no longer insisted on installing apache2 or any of the others I did not want when I installed froxlor.

• 3 years later...

The major problem I have with the debian package is the mysql dependency. I run a galara cluster and do NOT want a local server installed.

up till now I build my own frox packages after modifying the rules to get rid of the mysql server dependancy.

actually I do like it very much except for the fact that per default you are forced to install a mysql server. mysql server shouldn't be a "local" requirement and there for not a dependancy.

The documentation could simply be changed from

apt-get install froxlor

to

apt-get install froxlor mysql-server

has the same effect and makes the package usable for everyone.

but hey. your project and it's just an idea. take it or leave it. I can build my own packages to keep from having to use a tarball in production systems.

actually webserver, mysql-client and php are correctly required dependancies (otherwise froxlor is completely useless on the server) and smtp is pretty much a requirement of the server whether frox is installed or not.

courier/dove/whatnot is a recommendation and not a dep.

awstats/webalizer could be argued but for this sake let's just say they are viable deps.

mysql-server is the ONLY dep that is NOT 100% needed locally on the server.

but like I said. other than that bit, the package is great.

keep up the good work.

Archived