Froxlor Forum

Some Very Basic Questions about Adding a new domain/customer

IcyMediaT

Question

Hey all,

Completely new to Froxlor, and Linux for that matter. But have it running now on a cloud server which is nice.

First issue i have is that I can not manage the webspace of the main domain from within Froxlor. I gather from reading a reply from d00p to another user, that the usual solution for this is to setup froxlor using a subdomain as the main domain, e.g. something.domain.com ; and then you can add domain.com via froxlor.

Question) do i do this purely through froxlor when i'm setting it up, or do i modify the linux hosts file to reflect this. At the moment the hosts file in linux reads like this:

127.0.0.1       localhost.localdomain localhost
127.0.1.1       mydomain.com

do i change the second entry from mydomain.com , to... somesubdomain.mydomain.com to match what i'm putting into the froxlor settings?

Second Question) i've added a new customer to froxlor, and added a domain (a different domain to the admin domain) - and now i'm trying to figure out what i need to do with the DNS entries of the domain i've added at the registrar to get it to connect into the webspace I've just granted it through the froxlor control panel. Should I used the same DNS setting's that I'm using for my main domain?

e.g. my cloud server company gave me dns i can use to point my main domain to my server IP, which i've done.

do i point this secondary domain i've setup, that i want to use via the froxlor web space i created, to the same place? i.e. use the same DNS and give it the A record of my server?

Thanks, a bit confused.

5 answers to this question

Hi,

1) you do not need any particular entries in the /etc/hosts file for froxlor or websites to work

2) DNS is basically what "translates" a domain-name into an IP-address. So yes, you would use the same A-Records etc. for the customer domain as you want this domain to point to your server IP, just like your admin-domain

Thanks for the quick and very helpful reply d00p.

I will leave the etc/hosts file alone now. The reason I changed it in the first place is i followed this tutorial:

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-froxlor-server-management-panel-on-ubuntu-12-04

Although i'm not with digitalocean, i'm using a similiar cloud server setup, to setup froxlor, and one of the pre-requisites it mentioned is that : -

• Make sure to specify your server’s hostname (Droplet Hostname) as your desired Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN). For example, example.com or froxlor.example.com. Your FQDN should match the A record you set up

Then before it got around to guiding through the froxlor setup is had this step: -

Once you access the Droplet, you can verify your hostname with the following command:

hostname

Check your fully-qualified domain name:

hostname -f

Knowing your hostname and FQDN can save headaches with mail servers later on.

Mine was just saying localhost when i run that command, so i edited the hosts file and hostname, and now when i type that command it says the name of my main domain (which is the admin domain of my froxlor currently).

Was that step redundant do you think? (Just trying to clarify for future reference).

2) Thanks, I was confused totally about this. Does froxlor somehow know what the referring domain is when it is entered into a search engine. For example if my admin domain is admin.com , froxlor is installed on admin.com so i understand why when i visit admin.com/froxlor my froxlor pages are displayed. But , if i enter someotherdomain.com that just happens to also be pointing at my server, that froxlor is running on, how does froxlor know what files to display? are the details of the referring domain somehow carried along all the intermediary sites, until they reach my server IP, and passed along to froxlor?

Thanks again for clarifying much appreciated

2) Thanks, I was confused totally about this. Does froxlor somehow know what the referring domain is when it is entered into a search engine. For example if my admin domain is admin.com , froxlor is installed on admin.com so i understand why when i visit admin.com/froxlor my froxlor pages are displayed. But , if i enter someotherdomain.com that just happens to also be pointing at my server, that froxlor is running on, how does froxlor know what files to display? are the details of the referring domain somehow carried along all the intermediary sites, until they reach my server IP, and passed along to froxlor?

Thanks again for clarifying much appreciated

Hello,

When you add a new domain in the administrador panel, you can assign this domain for a customer (I recommend you create a customer account for your web sites) then if froxlor is working well, froxlor will create a folder (/var/customers/webs/customername/yourdomain.com) in this folder you can upload your web files using the customer fpt account.

Remember, your DNS domain should be pointing to your server.

Thank you when you say your DNS Domain, what do you mean, i'm not quite following...

So far I just know if i register a domain, and i want to use it with a hosting account i have to use the nameservers of the hosting company I am using.

In this instance I am hosting my own site, and administering the hosting via froxlor, so my thinking was that I just need to register a domain, and use the DNS of my cloud server company (who let me add any domain from another registrar as an external domain) and attach it to my server IP through the control panel. This is the process i followed with my own domain. Now when i access it i reach my server which is good. I simply set the dns to use nameservers given by my cloud host, and via the control panel i added the domain to my account as an 'external' domain, and there was an option to use it with a VPS and i used that and i think it updated the A reocrd, to forward it to my server IP.

What i'm not understanding is , how froxlor knows which files to display when someone types in another domain i've registered , into their address bar. Say i register someotherdomain.com ; and then update the DNS on this to use my cloud hosting DNS, and then via my control panel I link it to my cloud server, so that my hosting company updates the A record in the domain records, so it points to my server. Then when someone types this address into an internet address bar they arrive at my server. What I am not grasping is how froxlor knows when this happens, what pages to display? I get that froxlor creates a seperate directory for each domain, but how does it know what visitor wants what file? when they reach my server?

thanks

Well, froxlor generates apache vhost config files for every domain. Apache then knows about all the domains that are managed via froxlor. Now, a visitor opens domain-a.tld in his browser, your apache will check for a "ServerName" entry that matches this domain and will display content of the given "DocumentRoot" of the found vhost. If the domain is unknown (doesn't match any ServerName) the first vhost (mostly 000-default.conf) will be used.

Archived