Froxlor Forum

[Solved but documentation incorrect] Bind9 Start Error

dellarb

Question

Hi all

Just installing Froxlor for the first time today on Ubuntu 14.04 and have found an error in the DNS setup guide that Froxlor provides. The instructions for bind DNS setup are as follows:

echo "include \"/etc/bind/froxlor_bind.conf\";" >> /etc/bind/named.conf
touch /etc/bind/froxlor_bind.conf
chown root:bind /etc/bind/froxlor_bind.conf
chmod 0600 /etc/bind/froxlor_bind.conf
service bind9 restart

However when this is run and the bind9 restart command is issued the following error occurs:

* Stopping domain name service... bind9                                                                                                                                       
rndc: connect failed: 127.0.0.1#953: connection refused
                                                                                                                                                                        [ OK ]
 * Starting domain name service... bind9                                                                                                                                [fail]

It turns out that the chmod 0600 on /etc/bind/froxlor_bind.conf is incorrect and bind needs that file to have the same access as the other config files in this directory. As far as I can tell the correct command would be 

chmod 0644 /etc/bind/froxlor_bind.conf

Hope I'm not doing something wrong but if this is an issue would be good to get the documentation within Froxlor updated so that people don't spend heaps of time like myself trying to solve the problem.

Cheers

Ben

2 answers to this question

Archived