Froxlor Forum

Max username length

ssjeanderson

Question

Hello guys,

I'm using froxlor since june/2015 and everything went well. Today, I needed to create an account with 15 characters length username, but I received the message "only 11 characters allowed". Curiosly, I have accounts with 12 characters length, so, the real limitation seems to be 12 characters. 

Is there a way to increase this limit?

I'm using the 0.9.34 version on a debian 8 with apache2 and php-fpm enabled.

Sorry for the bad English and Thanks for this great panel!

8 answers to this question

For me it says "Loginname contains too many characters. Only 8 characters are allowed." So why can I only get 8 characters? :o

?Debian 8 here.

For the exact same reason i already gave here...depends on your settings of course, if your sql-prefix is "sql" and your username-prefix is "customer" you got eight characters + increasing number + three characters + increasing number - and all this together cannot exceed the mysql-limit

Okay, I got it.

I have searched and found that: "MySQL user names can be up to 32 characters long (16 characters before MySQL 5.7.8)"

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/user-names.html

but Debian is still using 5.5 version in their stable repository.

Maybe you should consider increasing this in the future.

Thanks again for the good job  :)

For the exact same reason i already gave here...depends on your settings of course, if your sql-prefix is "sql" and your username-prefix is "customer" you got eight characters + increasing number + three characters + increasing number - and all this together cannot exceed the mysql-limit

If I already have customers + mysqldbs can I change the prefix? Will this change the prefix for existing stuff as well? 

If I already have customers + mysqldbs can I change the prefix? Will this change the prefix for existing stuff as well? 

I did some tests here.. the new prefix only apply on the new DBs. The existing DBs not changed (thankfully). The system only accepts two or more characters in the prefix, so I changed the default 'sql' to 'DB' and gained one more character on the username.

I have to bring this up again.

I can currently get a max. user length of 9 characters with the following settings while the error message tells me that 8 characters is the max. allowed length:

Customer prefix: web

SQL prefix: RANDOM (=3 digit number)

FTP prefix: ftp

Any suggestions on how to get more characters for the user length while keeping reasonable prefixes? e.g.

SQL prefix = db

Archived