Froxlor Forum

[solved] New to Froxlor, some questions

garryr

Question

Hello all, I am new  to Froxlor, and the forum, 

To start with, I am planning to try Froxlor, but only on a "localhost" server, I am just starting to try to learn about all of this, so anyway, I seem to have a long ways to go before I will even be thinking about putting a server online, and offer any kind of hosting service. This is for my own "learning" experience. 

Ok, now I have not yet installed my OS, it will be Debian Wheezy, 7.8 and I will be using NGINX as my server,  so here is my questions,

After I install Debian, I assume I need to also install NGINX,  and then if there is anything else I need to install, before I try to install Froxlor, ? I have read the documentation on the wiki, this will be the method I use to install http://redmine.froxlor.org/projects/froxlor/wiki/InstallationDebian

The main thing is I want to be sure I have everything necessary all ready installed, so the installation of Froxlor goes smoothly. 

Thank you in advance, 

from Garry

10 answers to this question

Thank you, 

I installed debian wheezy, and also nginx, it all went well. The installation of froxlor also seemed togo fine, how ever when I connect to my server, http://localhost/froxlor , it only connects to the NGINX, it does not go to the "froxlor" and continue with the installation.  I do notice on the wiki, in step2 

2. Set Permissions?

In order for the webserver to be able to server the files, the owner must be set correctly.
Note: If you're using FCGID/PHP-Fpm for the Froxlor-Vhost, you have to replace the webserver-user with your local froxlor-user.

chown -R [webserver-user]:[webserver-user] /var/www/froxlor/

However since the instructions, tell me to go on to step 3, 

3. Installation via Web-Install

Now that you have extracted all the files you are ready to (re)start the webserver. You should now be able to access froxlor via

That is what I did, at this point , I have not changed any file permissions, cause I am not sure that is what I need to do,  I want to make sure I am changing the right file permissions, before and if I change anything. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I think this may turn out to be more complicated then I expected, 

Nginx default config points to /var/www/html/ if i remember correctly...you need to adjust the default vhost to just point to /var/www/

NGINX rejects my changes, so I started looking at some docs, 

and this is what it said:

------------------------------
README for Debian
-----------------

Files under /var/www/ are not supported as per Debian Policy.
  details and explanations.

-- Kartik Mistry <kartik@debian.org>  Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:31:15 +0530 I am still going over what it says in links they had, there is some stuff you may also want to read, so that is why I am sharing this,  I am sure there is a way around this, but not so sure if I am able to figure it out the

for more
  details and explanations. make it more confusing.
 Thank you for at least pointing me in the right direction,

Files under /var/www/ are not supported as per Debian Policy.

"not supported"...well, you are the admin, you can put your files wherever you want. the policies are for debian-packages. Of course does your system support files in /var/www/...

NGINX rejects my changes

Then you did something wrong, I did this on many debian installs ... just change /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default like this:

- root /var/www/html/
+ root /var/www/

Else, just move froxlor to /var/www/html/ if your debian does not let you use /var/www....

I think this may turn out to be more complicated then I expected,

maybe use apache then...nginx is more advanced

maybe use apache then...nginx is more advanced

No, I won't go into the details as to why I do not want to use apache, here,.. but anyway, 

Then you did something wrong, I did this on many debian installs ... just change /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default like this:

- root /var/www/html/

+ root /var/www/

Yes I did do something wrong, this clarifies it,  I added the var/www/ but had not removed, or - the var/www.html

Thanks a bunch, I guess I am going to need to look at your wish list ,  :) 

Ok, well it is working now ! :)  I can see though now, I have a LOT more to learn, on configuring,etc,...

Thanks a bunch

I owe you one on the "wishlist". the thing of it is, I live and work in Mexico, and when I checked to see how much euros are in pesos,...

well, 1000 pesos = 59,70 euros, 

I only earn 1500 pesos a week, ....but that is another topic.

Nginx default config points to /var/www/html/ if i remember correctly...you need to adjust the default vhost to just point to /var/www/

I've had the same issue as described by the OP. I'm on a minimal install of Debian 8 on a vps. When looking for the nginx config files, they aren't where you mentioned above, that's the apache default. On my installation (I did nginx first, then mariadb, then froxlor, which apparently overwrote mariadb with mysql, but I digress) nginx is putting the web files in /usr/share/nginx/html. When I move the froxlor directory into the html directory and try to access it, I get a 403 Forbidden page, so apparently that directory needs permissions adjusted.

Would that be the best course of action, and what should it be changed to, or should I move froxlor back where it was and tell nginx to serve pages from the /var/www/ or /var/www/html directories?

@CosmicDebri

At first, you should not hijack old threads. Better open your own so nobody gets confused with the problem from OP. 

Secondly, i just installed nginx in debian jessie. The configuration file is found in /etc/nginx/sites-enabled/default and the default docroot is /var/www/html. Just change that to /var/www

Archived